On The Healing Journey

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Strength is Found in the Quiet

Grieving during the Christmas season is hard. My pain is magnified. It seems everywhere I turn, there are joyful people singing, or shopping, or baking, or celebrating. They are rushing to the gathering of friends or family. The pace is quickened, traffic is gnarled, and I become in a frantic state of "rush" to try to keep up with the world.

But I can't.

In reality, this is just the opposite of what we should be doing - especially when we are grieving. You see, we grievers need all the strength we can muster. We are exhausted from the pain of our sorrow. It is often hard to put one foot in front of the other. But we know we must. And so we try. But true healing comes for a griever when we allow our self the quiet. Strength is found in the quiet.
As Streams in the Desert says, "For a lake to reflect the heavens on its surface, it must be calm."

And so where do I find "calm" during the season of hustling and bustling?
 - early morning walks in my garden
 - a church sanctuary in the middle of the week
 - a star-filled sky
 -  Ave Maria sung by Jewell or Josh Groban
 - a fireside chat  with a friend over a late afternoon cup of coffee
 - an Advent daily devotional
 - Christmas stories reread from years ago
 - Stratford Hall Ginger Cookies - mixed and rolled in sugar
 - a heart that can weep and smile and remember
 - watching for someone who needs a dollar handed to them
 - kind, thought-out  words
 - Jesus, who set the example of "going up on a mountainside by himself (Matthew 14:23)

It takes work to find the calm. Sometimes we too must, go up a mountain all alone.
There we find it.

2 comments:

Glenda Mills said...

Such a timely message as fresh grief surprised my sisters and brother and me just recently over the loss of mother, daddy, and brother who all left this earth within the last six years. I so relate to the need for meeting God on the mountain(I live on one) for rest, renewal, and refreshment. Only then am I able to find strength for the valleys of life. I find much strength in the quiet. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I pray God will hold you and family close to his heart during Christmas and in the coming new year.
Hugs,
Glenda

Vonda Skelton said...

Even after 18 years, Christmas is still difficult as I grieve yet again for my daddy. He loved Christmas and loved his family. He would soooo enjoy our family and my grandkids today.

Heaven gets sweeter by the day as I anticipate seeing my heavenly Father, my earthly daddy, and my Savior, Jesus Christ!