On The Healing Journey

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

How Do You Define Death With Dignity?

          Death with dignity has taken on new meaning these recent days in the news. I think of dignity as I remember going to Normandy last year, visiting the American Cemetery, remembering and relearning about those who fought valiantly for freedom from oppression. I think of dignity as I remember those who tried to save victims during the 9/11 crisis and became victims themselves. And I think of dignity when I think of Andrew Taylor, my nephew, who had a grand mal seizure when he was three and lived 26 more years with loving and heartbroken parents.

The beautiful face on this week's People Magazine cover is Brittany Maynard.  Brittany has an incurable brain tumor and she has decided to take her life on November 1st. There has been much written, much talked about, much support and/or criticism. When she went public with her decision, she became the unexpected face of the right-to-die movement. Her family is devastated yet supportive and loving. It's tragic and heartbreaking and it makes me weep.

I look at the beautiful double page photo of Brittany, standing by her bed, and I cannot help but think of my own daughter who also was given a 4-6 month fatal diagnosis. The big difference in Brittany and Megan is that Megan's mind was deteriorating rapidly and she could not make sound decisions on her own. Megan's mental abilities were taken first. Maybe that was a blessing. Maybe that was God protecting Megan from the hideous side effects very similar to Brittany's. When I read of Brittany's excruciating headaches, nausea, seizures, talking gibberish, and at-times non-recognition of her husband, I can almost - almost -  understand her decision because I remember many of those experiences myself with my child.

Interestingly, both Brittany and Megan began their symptoms in the Spring. Both women were teachers with a love for helping others. Megan died at 27. Brittany is 29. Megan lived with her disease 16 months. Brittany has been sick 18 months. They even resemble each other. And I cannot help but wonder, "Would Megan have made this decision?"

I can't answer that question. I can only remember her final words written in her journal which said, "O God, such a crazy week with so many tests, but I know you have a plan and a purpose and it is good and I trust in You." That tells me that Megan put her life in God's hands for whatever purpose He had for her life. And I know that as we waited on God's timing for Megan's death, our faith found new meaning in our Christian life and for the eternal life to come after death. There was a richness to our day - a presence of God himself, comforting us, comforting Megan. Megan, in her own version of "death with dignity" gave us the ultimate gift of time which fostered great love among those who shared the journey and in the end was the beginning of our healing.

To read further thoughts, go to: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/ellenpainterdollar/2014/10/a-christian-response-to-brittany-maynards-decision-to-die/



1 comment:

Vonda Skelton said...

How sad, Marcia. I'm sad for Brittany, for her husband and parents. But I'm especially sad that there's no mention of grace, forgiveness, and eternal life. Without that, there's no hope, no confidence of her future.

It's also sad when I think of sweet Megan. But in her case, we know she had received the grace, forgiveness, and eternal life that only comes through a relationship with Jesus Christ. And because she did, you and I have a blessed hope, the confidence that you'll see her again, and I'll have the joy of meeting her for the first time.

Praying for you and your sweet family.