On The Healing Journey

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Solitude





"Solitude liberates us from entanglements by carving out
a space from which we can see ourselves and our situation before the Audience of One. Solitude provides the private place where we can take our bearings and so make God our North Star."
(Os Guinness)


Solitude. It's what we often say we long for, but we run when the opportunity presents itself. When a friend asked me how I was doing sequestered at home in the midst of our world crisis I had to say things had not changed for me too much. That was a week ago. I am not gainfully employed. I like to garden, read, and act busy in my office. We don't eat out much, but enjoy being creative in the kitchen. I can handle a quiet life. Or so I think.

But things have changed as the death toll in the US continues to rise - today 4500.  Today I watched a video on disinfecting all food containers that are brought into the kitchen. I was asked to limit my grocery shopping to every two weeks ( I normally go every other day.) I was warned the virus could be on the bottom of our shoes and we should take them off upon entering our home. This part I watched while my feet (in their shoes) were propped on the coffee table. More disinfecting.

No. This is solitude with guidelines for survival and I have to say, it's frightening. No wonder I saw a million apps advertised on Facebook for calming the spirit and getting us through the night. I read somewhere that there are 365 Bible references for not being afraid. This might be a good exercise - to look up every reference and claim them daily. Who will volunteer? And will you send them to me?

Henri Nouwen says, " Solitude begins with a time and place for God, and God alone. If we really believe not only that God exists but also that He is actively present in our lives - healing, teaching, guiding - we need to set aside a time and space to give Him our undivided attention."

This might be that time in our life when we look at God for a long time and allow Him to look at us. Maybe it's something He has been wanting to do for a long time, but we've been too busy. Now we have the opportunity to find our North Star. It will guide us through this night of darkness and take the fear away.




No comments: