On The Healing Journey

Saturday, April 4, 2020

Day 2 - The 23rd Psalm





He restores my soul; he guides me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.   Psalm 23:3


Take a moment. What do you think of when you consider the words “restores my soul”?



Maybe you have restored an old piece of furniture, or maybe a car. Whatever is restored, I think of being put back together, like Humpty Dumpty who had the great fall. As a shepherd, David had times of being broken and he mused several times in Psalm 42:11 “Why art thou cast down, O my soul?” I always thought this meant discouraged, but if we look further, we find that “cast down” has another meaning when it comes to working with sheep. Cast is a term given to a sheep who has found himself on his back unable to get up. It can happen when the sheep lies down, and trying to get comfortable, he rummages around. His weight shifts and before he knows it, he is flat on his back. His legs frantically shake and if not found within a few hours, death can occur naturally or by predators watching close by. The shepherd wastes no time, getting his sheep to one side, and then slowly he brings him to his feet, rubbing his legs to increase circulation, watching him closely until he is strong and upright again.

Can you apply this to your own life? When have you been “on your back” unable to make things right? Maybe you literally find yourself in bed with an illness. Maybe you’ve been struck with tragedy and grief. Maybe yours is a financial set-back. Maybe you are just "sheltering at home."

The good news is we have a shepherd who comes to restore us and upright our position. Throughout the New Testament, we see Jesus as the Good Shepherd, restoring the man with leprosy, restoring Peter’s Mother-in-law, restoring Lazarus, and so many others. As Isaiah 53:4 says about the Christ, “Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows.”

And once we are restored, we can walk in The Paths of Righteousness for his name’s sake. The paths of righteousness are the opposite of doing what I want. Does not Isaiah 53:6 say “All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned everyone to his own way?” It seems that way often– all of us going in so many different directions. Which direction do we go?  Jesus says, “I am the way, the truth, the life; no man cometh onto the Father except by me (John 14:6). 

Jesus made it clear that following Him would require a rugged life of self-denial, a new set of attitudes.  Too hard? I agree, except for the fact that he gave us his Holy Spirit to lead and to guide.

Will I go my own way?
Or will I follow the Shepherd?

Oh, God, so often I find myself needing your restoration. Why do I go astray so much?

No comments: