On The Healing Journey

Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Reaching Out



It's  easy for me to become complacent, sequestered in the comfort of my home. I have everything I need and more. So far in this pandemic, our family has been protected from illness. There is food on the table and flowers in the garden. Exercise, music, books and projects, along with the occasional "porch drink" with friends fills in the weekly calendar. 

And we're doing it over...and over... and over.   

Last night, my date asked me if I was getting bored with our simple life. I quickly lied and said, "of course not!" We laughed and moved on in conversation, but the thought haunted me later. Was I bored? And why? From past experience, I seem to know when those "bored" feelings begin. It's always when I have been thinking mostly (no, entirely)  of myself in my little corner of the world. Having introvert tendencies, I can go for days with little or no contact outside my home. Then one day I start to feel it - a restless need, a little claustrophobic and maybe, yes, a little bored with self. 

Some might call this a God-nudge. I know it is time to reach out.

First, I start with phone calls to check on family and friends. I enjoy my chatty sister, a neighbor, and a friend who lives across town. I think they have enjoyed being thought of, and I certainly have had my spirits lifted. I'm energized through our conversations. 

Second, the ripe bananas on the counter remind me that it's time to make the bread. And the making of banana bread is always in preparation for the give away. Who needs the gesture of a small gift - one that just says, "I'm thinking of you"?

Finally, my spirit reminds me of those who need a touch today - from me. And off I go, sanitized and mask adorned, to reach out and love on those I care about. By the end of the day, my restless boredom has vanished and I am rich in possibilities for tomorrow.

These gestures are very small in the big picture of our world situation today. They are small, but what if we all made three phone calls today to people we know to show them we care? What if we shared something with our neighbor who has lost a loved one or who might be lonely?  What if we reached out to our local police department with a gesture of kindness? And what if, in the midst of our little efforts, we find ourselves reaching out more and more? We probably wouldn't have time for boredom.


No comments: