On The Healing Journey

Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Small Signs of God - Day 21 Valleys and Mountains

 


Valleys and Mountains

 


 4 As it is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet:

  “A voice of one calling in the wilderness,
      ‘Prepare the way for the Lord,
   make straight paths for him.
5 Every valley shall be filled in,
   every mountain and hill made low.
The crooked roads shall become straight,
   the rough ways smooth.
6 And all people will see God’s salvation. (
Luke 3:4-6.)

 

The meltdown came.

 I thought I had done everything so perfect this Advent. I had slowed down and made time for true worship. I had kept my home modestly adorned and in order. I had given to the poor and served the needy. I had baked the family favorites, seen the people I love and filled the birdfeeders with a Christmas blend.  And yet, hot tears came streaming down my face at the kitchen sink - somewhere between blending the pate and mixing the fruitcake.  I couldn't identify their source. 

Was it brokenness or was it sheer Christmas joy?

My husband suggested I think in terms of an investment article he had read earlier about  Aristotle (my husband reads Aristotle?) and his ancient theory of The Golden Mean. The Golden Mean is defined as " the desirable middle between two extremes, one of deficiency and the other of excess."

My Advent focus took me from Aristotle directly to Jesus who came right in the middle of the history of time. The world had been deficient, struggling, looking for the One who would set the world straight. 

And that night, 2000 years ago, God's "Golden Mean" arrived. And since He came, that same world paused and wondered for a night, and since has gone on looking, unsatisfied and excessive.

I ask you - how deep are your valleys this Christmas? 

My valleys are deep. But my mountains are just as high. 

My life spills over with the fullness of life - 

gathering and giving, 

embracing and letting go.

 It is what Solomon talks about in Ecclesiastes. A time for everything. 

And then, one day...one day it will all be straightened and made smooth.

 

Great God who sets my world straight, I rest in your promises . Help me to prepare the way....

 

No comments: