On The Healing Journey

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Diverted, Never Altered


Yesterday my brother-in-law died. No more debilitating headaches. No more diabetes. No more heart condition. No more depression. No more struggle trying to find a spot in this world. And although I know he will be missed terribly by his immediate family, I privately rejoice that he is free of his bondage. Free from insecurity and frustration. Free from feeling like a failure. Free from pain.

This morning I read in a devotional (My Utmost for His Highest) that the entire human race was created to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever. It went on to say that Sin has diverted the human race onto another course, but it has not altered God's purpose to the slightest degree.  I know that "diversion" presents itself every day in some form to each one of us. Diversion can be ugly like a stroke leaving one helpless and dying. Diversion also can be alluringly beautiful, like fortune and fame, often leading us down another course.  For some, the diversion consumes us. But read this again: the diversion of Sin has not altered God's purpose to the slightest degree.

This must mean that success in the world's eyes has nothing to do with God's purpose. Sort of hurts our pride for those of us who think we have somehow avoided most diversions and been able to maintain careers, families, and a decent resume.  I am ashamed to admit the times I was frustrated with my brother-in-law. His ailments, inability to work, his lack of get up and go. All according to me.

 But as I think about him today, new words describing him speak to my heart. "Love is patient. Love is kind. It does not envy. It does not boast.it is not proud. it is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." I Corinthians 13

And then I must ask myself, "Do I exhibit these characteristics my brother-in-law exhibited? In what ways am I diverted? Am I doing everything possible to live God's purpose for me now?"

Funny how death always makes us think differently.


This blog is about the healing journey, the way to find wholeness when the diversions are great. Illness, disease, bad habits and life choices all lure us and sweep us away, seeking to destroy us as a beautiful creation that God himself designed. If we were created to glorify God, we certainly don't show it on many days. Which course are you on?

No comments: